Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
Yields: 4 serves
- 2 TBS Chia seeds
- ¼ cup Coconut water or water
- 1 cup Almond meal (see notes for alternative)
- ¾ cup Coconut flour, sifted
- 1 tsp salt-skippers Baking Soda (bi-carb), sifted
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup Coconut oil
- 2 TBS Apple cider vinegar
- 2 Apples, peeled + grated
- ¾ cup organic unsweetened Sultanas
- 2 TBS Cacao nibs (optional)
- ½ Orange, zest
- 2 tsp Nutmeg
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Ginger
- 2 TBS organic Maple Syrup or raw local Honey (optional, see notes)
- Preheat oven to 180oC (350oF) and line a muffin tray with muffin cases.
- Soak chia seed in water whilst preparing dry mix. Stir to make sure seeds are in the water.
- Sift all of the dry ingredients into a bowl.
- Combine everything well until there are no lumps.
- Add soaked chia seeds, eggs, coconut oil and apple cider vinegar and whisk until well combined.
- Don’t be tempted to add any liquid – the mix is meant to be thick.
- Add sultanas, grated apples, zest and cacao nibs and fold into mixture.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin trays and bake for 35 minutes or until the hot cross buns spring back when lightly touched.
- Remove from the oven and turn out onto a cooling rack.
- Serve with lashings of tahini – everything is better with tahini
For the Crosses:
- I’ll leave that to you, we did it the simple way to make them even more Easter-ry.
- Combine 2 TBS desiccated coconut with 10 ml water.
- Make a cross using a butter knife in the mixture before placing them in the oven and carefully spoon the coconut mixture in.
- As you can see – quick and easy + a very delicious alternative to icing sugar.
- Grain-free, dairy-free, sugar-free and nut free alternative, double TRIPLE tested from our kitchen to yours. Add vitamin L… and enjoy!
- We didn’t add sweetener to this recipe – but if you DO want to add a little sweetener to these, a dash of maple syrup or honey will be just right.
- Nut Free alternative: Replace almond meal with pumpkin seeds instead (just whack it in the food processor and blend until it becomes a fine meal).
- I suggest serving these babies with tahini or chocolate nut butter but if you’re cool with butter, go for it – just make sure it’s organic and not margarine!