Chia: The Ultimate Super Seed + Breakfast Jar
If I could single out one thing that I’ve consistently added to my diet which has made a huge difference to my health, it’s Chia Seeds. IN LOVE. They are not only easy to incorporate into your diet, but are jam-packed with so much goodness!
The first thing you eat or drink in the morning is most important as it sets off the neurotransmitters for the day. So, if you’re one to start your day with a breakfast high in sugar and carbohydrates, then that’s what you’ll generally crave.
There is seriously no better way to kick start your day than with protein like these humble little seeds. Starting your day with protein amps up your metabolism by 7 calories and over the course of the year, it adds up.
The benefits of eating chia seeds are enormous! They are:
- High in omega 3 fatty acids, which are known to lower cholesterol.
- The highest source of complete protein, meaning they contain all 8 essential amino acids making them a great immune system and energy booster.
- Packed with calcium (five times more than milk) and iron (three times more than spinach).
- An excellent source of fibre, which is very healing for digestion. (Side note when having these babies: Be sure to drink plenty of water when consuming chia seeds especially in large amounts due to the high fiber content.)
- Great for the brain (contains eight times more Omega 3 than salmon).
- Chia seeds reduce cravings and balances blood sugar (great for diabetics), making them one of the most powerful anti-inflammatory compounds in nature.
- They also have the unique ability to absorb more than nine times their volume in liquids. This helps improve endurance, prevent dehydration and retain electrolytes (especially important when exercising).
To soak or not to soak?
There is a lot of debate around whether we need to soak chia seeds before eating. It won’t hurt to eat them straight, but soaking them will actually release the enzyme inhibitors that are used to protect the seed.
This makes it much easier to digest and your body can then access the dense nutrients inside – and in my opinion, you always want to get the most nutrition out of any food that you eat!
Soaked chia seeds are a real treat and are so simple to prepare, especially Chia Pudding; proof that breakfast can not only be healthy but also seriously delicious – not to mention the flavour combinations are endless!
You can also:
- sprinkle them on your salads and soups, etc.
- add them to your morning smoothies
- add them in bread or dessert recipes
- use as an egg replacement
Need some inspiration to get you started?
Check out my chia pudding + various flavour combos below. It’ll take under ten minutes to whip up and can be set in the fridge overnight.
Let’s kick-start our day with some serious chia-boosting power!
Chia Pudding Breakfast Jar
- 4 Tbsp Chia Seeds (The more chia seeds you add, the thicker the pudding.)
- 1 cup water or nut milk of your choice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Fresh mixed berries mashed with a fork to obtain juice and chunks or Goji berries (Combining the two superfoods means double the amount of antioxidants!)
- Mix chia seeds with water or nut milk, stirring well to absorb the liquid.
- Let stand for approx. 15 minutes or until jelly like consistency. (You can make and set overnight in the fridge.)
- The seeds will plump into a delicate pudding.
- Stir in your cinnamon and berries.
- To assemble the jar, layer your chia pudding and mashed fruits, top with extra berries, nuts, a drizzle of honey and mint leaves.
Other Flavour Combinations + Tips:
- Top your pudding with banana for an extra dose of potassium, which is especially important after a tough workout.
- Swap the berries and cinnamon and replace with sliced banana and 1 Tbsp raw cacao. Divine! Almost like dessert for breakfast.
- Experiment with different fruits that are in season and instead of using plain (spring) water, try coconut water or nut milks like almond and coconut, for a creamier consistency.
- Add a spoonful of coconut yoghurt (or natural Greek yoghurt), and other spices like ginger or vanilla. If you are prone to the sweeter side of things, drizzle a little honey on top.
Superfood? Super-gorgeous energy booster!
If you haven’t already, jump on the band wagon and start incorporating some chia power in your day!
P.S. Want to take your health to the next level?
Download my FREE green smoothie eBook and get life-changing tips and inspiration delivered straight to your inbox.