Prep time: 20 minutes
Prep notes: Allow 2 hours to set in freezer
Yields: 20 serves
- 1/4 cup Coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup Coconut milk
- 4 TBS organic or raw honey, melted (alternatively, organic maple syrup)
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
- 1/4 tsp sea salt (NAS for MD/CHD sufferers)
- 3 cups organic shredded Coconut
Chocolate Coating ( x 2 for thicker coating)
- 1/4 cup Coconut oil
- 1/8 – 1/4 cup organic Maple syrup or Honey (depending on how sweet or bitter you like your chocolate)
- 1/4 cup Cacao powder
- Add coconut oil and coconut milk to a medium size bowl and whisk to combine well (ensure there is no separation between the oil and milk).
- Add the honey, vanilla essence and sea salt and mix well (NAS for MD/CHD sufferers).
- Add the shredded coconut and mix until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into a lined square baking dish and place in the freezer for approximately 60 minutes to set.
- Take out and cut into squares and freeze for another 30 minutes.
- To make the chocolate coating, melt the coconut oil in saucepan on low heat.
- Once melted, add the maple syrup (or honey), whisking until well combined. Then add the cacao powder, stirring well until well mixed through.
- Take the coconut squares out of the freezer, dip each piece into the chocolate sauce and placed on a wire rack on top of lined baking tray (make sure the tray fits in your freezer).
- Freeze until the chocolate has hardened (approx 30 – 60 minutes).
- Optional: prepare another batch of chocolate coating and dip the raw bounty bars a second time and freeze again (approx 30 – 60 minutes).
- These are a great healthy version of the classic chocolate bar and is an absolute winner with my friends and family.
- A perfect option for people that may have dairy, gluten, egg and nut allergies or intolerances.
- I suggest coating them twice to ensure that you get a nice thick chocolate coating around the coconut centre.